With the new Apps and Book feature in Apple School Manager (ASM) it is possible to do the following things:
- Transfer Licenses
- Share Licenses
- Simplified purchasing
With this feature it is possible to transfer licenses to a new location, these licenses will then be associated with the new location's token. Anyone with access to that location can use the unassigned licenses. Please check out Apple's official ASM documentation regarding the transfer of licenses: Transfer Licenses
With this feature you can share licenses between purchasers who have access to the same location.
You can now browse and purchase content directly in the Apps and Books section of ASM. You can also view all licenses purchased for your locations in one place. In addition to this you can also manage VPP credit and update billing information in the settings.
Prepare your organization to migrate to Apps and Books
To prepare you organization to migrate to Apps and Books please follow these steps:
- Invite VPP purchasers to ASM
- Migrate only one purchaser per location
- Location-based tokens
- Migrate all VPP purchasers
Invite VPP purchasers to ASM
Purchasers with existing VPP accounts that aren't in ASM yet need to be invited to join your organization before you migrate to Apps and Books. Please follow Apple's official documentation on how to invite them to join your organization: Invite VPP Purchasers to Apple School Manager
Migrate only one purchaser per location
For initial migration it is recommended to migrate only one purchaser per unique location. You can do this by restriction account access in ASM to the locations for each purchaser or by directing each user to the location they should manage.
- If you couldn't map purchasers to a unique location, assigned licenses might not move during the initial migration. When a purchaser migrates to a location that was already chosen by another purchaser, assigned licenses remain associated with the purchaser's legacy tokens and should remain uploaded to MDM.
- All licenses that move during initial migration will associate with the new token. Any licenses that don't move remain associated with the purchaser's legacy token.
Apps and Books uses location-based tokens. Licenses purchased for a location associate with that location.
Purchasers can access tokens for all their location in Apps and Books. Only one person needs to upload location tokens to ZuluDesk, Legacy tokens aren't needed after all licenses are moved.
- Legacy tokens from the VPP portal are account-based.
- Assigned book licenses can't be moved and remain assigned to a user.
Migrate all VPP purchasers
When you're ready to migrate completely all purchasers should migrate at the same time. Each purchaser must migrate their own account. Click the "Get Started" button in the Apps and Books section of ASM and then selecting the appropriate migration location.
- After all purchasers have migrated you can take full advantage of the new features.
- If your organization does not want to user Apps and Books, VPP purchasers can continue as usual with the legacy VPP portal: https://vpp.itunes.apple.com/?l=en