In this guide we will describe how you can use ZuluDesk to configure the Classroom app for your teachers.
Before you can start using the classroom app, there are a few requirements needed:
- 1:1 iPad, Teacher iPads can’t be shared !
- Both the teacher and student iPad needs to be upgraded to iOS 9.3 or later. Without this latest update it just won’t work.
- Both iPads need to be on the same (WiFi) network and need to be able to connect to each other directly. The communication between the classroom app and the student iPad is done directly and securely, so ZuluDesk can’t detect what is being sent.
- Bluetooth must be enabled on both iPads to detect each others presence, because iBeacons are used.
- Both iPads need special configuration through a special education profile. This is the responsibility of ZuluDesk and the configuration for that is explained in this guide. You can check if the iPads already has this profile on the ‘profiles’ tab of the device details page. Here it should display a profile named ‘ZuluDesk Education Profile (version:xxx)’. If this is missing, on either iPad it also won’t work.
- If there is a restriction in one of the active profiles that disables “Allow screen captures”, the screen sharing in the Classroom app also doesn’t work.
To be able to use the Classroom app as a teacher, the classes have to be defined. Classes in ZMS are special types of user groups that contain teachers and students. There are 2 options to create a class, creating a new one or migrating an existing user group to a class.
Option 1) Creating a new class
Start by making a class in your ZMS: Environment > Classes.
- Click here on the “Add Class” button to start making a class.
- A new window will pop up for creating the class. You can set the name and description for the class your are creating. When you've added a name and description you can click on the next button.
- In this screen you can add students to the class. These students are the students that are manageable when the teacher selects this class in the Classroom app. Add students by clicking the “Add Student” button. (Note: You can filter on groups to make it easier to find certain students.) After you selected your students you can click next to add one or more teachers.
- Here you can search for teachers you want to add to the class. Just like students, you can add multiple teachers.
- Click the finish button to create the class. This will also take you back to the class overview.
Option 2) Migrating an existing user group
When you already have user groups configured that are classes, you can easily migrate this group to a class by clicking the “Migrate this class” button on the group details page. This will also keep any teachers that could manage this user group in the ZuluDesk Teacher app.
Now you can install the Classroom app on the iPads that are associated with the teachers, via the Apple App Store or by adding this app in ZuluDesk. You can check if the configuration of a class has been sent to the iPad by looking for a “Install Education Profile” command in the activity log.
Tip: You can add the Classroom App through VPP and this enables you to add the Classroom app automatically to all devices of the teachers.
If you have configured the class and device in the correct way, you will get an overview of the classes this teacher has been assigned to.
Note: If you have only a single class assigned to a teacher, you will go straight to the overview of that class.
For a full guide for using the Classroom app, see http://images.apple.com/education/docs/Classroom_Guide_Education_9.3.pdf