Distributing App Store apps to macOS clients is only possible with apps you’ve purchased through the Volume Purchase Program.
Steps to take:
- Enable VPP in ZMS;
- Buy one or more macOS apps using the VPP Portal;
- Define a scope and start distributing apps.
Enable VPP in ZMS:
If you haven’t already enabled VPP in ZMS, please check out our deployment guide on how to do so.
Buy one or more macOS apps using the VPP Portal:
- Navigate to volume.itunes.apple.com, choose the Education or Business store and login with your VPP Apple ID;
- Enter the search term and choose “Mac Apps” as the “Media type” and click on the “Search” button;
- Click on the name of the app you want to distribute and enter the amount of licenses you need. Next click on the “Review order” button;
Note: you can always buy the same app again if you need more licenses at a later time.
- Click on the “Place order” button to confirm the order;
- Apple will start generating the licenses you’ve just purchased. Depending on the amount, this may take some time. You’ll be notified by mail once this process is completed. After a couple of minutes, the app(s) will automatically show up in ZMS at the “Apps” page;
Define a scope and start distributing apps:
- In ZMS, navigate to the newly added App;
- Add a device group to the App;
- The “Clients in scope” table will automatically update and reflects the devices that’ll receive the app.
Note: only user that have the “Associated” VPP status will receive the app and show up in the “Clients in scope”!
- Click on the “Save” button to save the scope. In a couple of minutes, the license of the app will be assigned to the clients and the app will automatically start installing.