You can use this procedure to prepare iPad’s if you are *not* using DEP (Device Enrollment Program. We will use Apple Configurator 2 on a Mac to prepare the devices.
- a Mac computer;
- Apple Configurator 2;
- Optional: a USB hub to configure multiple iPad’s at once.
Create a blueprint:
- Open Apple Configurator 2, click on “Blueprints” and choose for the option “Edit Blueprints”;
- Click on the “New” button in the bottom left of the window. A new blueprint will be created, give this new blueprint a name (for example: “ZuluDesk Supervised”);
- Select the newly created blueprint and click on the “Prepare” button;
- Choose “Manual” for the Configuration option and click on the “Next” button;
- Choose “New server…” for the Server option and click on the “Next” button;
- Give the new MDM server a name (for example: “ZuluDesk”), enter the Apple Configurator 2 MDM Server URL you can find in ZMS Devices -> Enroll Device(s) URL in the “Enrollment URL” field and click on the “Next” button;
- Choose “*.zuludesk” for the anchor certificate and click on the “Next” button;
- Check the box at for the “Supervise devices” option and optionally also check the box for “Allow devices to pair with other computers” and click on the “Next” button;
- Enter information about your organisation and click on the “Next” button;
- Click on “Generate a new supervision identity” and click on the “Next” button;
- Optional: choose the steps you want to skip during the setup and click on the “Prepare” button when you’re ready;
- Click on the “Done” button at the bottom right of the window to save the blueprint and return to the view with all connected devices.
Apply the blueprint:
- Connect one or more devices using, for example, an USB hub;
- Select the devices you want to enrol in ZuluDesk (tip: use cmd + a to select all currently connected devices);
- Click on the “Blueprints” button, click on the blueprint you’ve just created and click on “Apply” to start applying the blueprint to the selected device(s);
You’re done! Apple Configurator will automatically download and install the latest iOS, supervise the device and enroll it in ZuluDesk.