UPDATE: Since update 5.3.4 we prompt to automatically clear a devices' passcode when present at the time of sending an update command to the device.
With the introduction of iOS 9 it’s possible to control how and when iOS updates are applied. In this guide, we assume you’ve already set up DEP.
Please note that:
iOS > 10.3: iOS Updates support all supervised devices, including those with a passcode. Non-DEP devices will be prompted for T&Cs.
iOS < 10.3: Only devices enrolled in DEP can also be updated through ZuluDesk. Not DEP enrolled devices will report their update status but can’t be forced to download or install it.
- Supervised devices running iOS 9 or higher;
- DEP enrolled Apple devices;
- Apple Caching server
Enable automatic update checking:
- In ZMS navigate to “Organisation” -> “Settings” -> “General”;
- Tick the box “Automatically check for iOS updates” and click on the “Save” button.
Check for updates:
By default, the devices will be checked for updates every hour (with the hourly “device update”). You can speed up this process by navigation to the device details and clicking on the “refresh” button.
When an update is available:
New updates are automatically visible in ZMS at the “Devices” -> “Updates” page.
You can decide what to do with an update on a per-device basis, or all at once with the “bulk” options.There are two options you can choose from:
- Download only: the update is downloaded but won’t be installed automatically;
- Download & Install: the update will be downloaded and installed as soon as possible.